Initial Qualification – 3 Essential Criteria
Initial qualification for participation in the BBHH program is based on three essential criteria.
- You must demonstrate need for safe, decent and affordable housing
- You must have the ability to pay your zero-interest mortgage and you must be willing to partner through completion of volunteer sweat-equity hours, attending workshops and classes, attending BBHH community events and other eligible activities.
- You must also meet credit approval and income guidelines. BBHH partners with Tallahassee Lenders Consortium in order to ensure credit readiness of all participants. You will need to have a credit score of 600 or higher and no outstanding “bad” debit to participate in the program.
Income guidelines that must be met are listed below. This is an annual income range and includes all income received in the home including, regular employment, social security benefits, disability benefits, child support, alimony, etc. for all income earning individuals in the household.
**HOUSEHOLD INCOME GUIDELINES as of April 2017**
HUD & FHFC Income Limits
- 1 Person- $14,350-$38,300
- 2 People- $16,400-$43,800
- 3 People- $20,420-$49,250
- 4 People- $24,600-$54,700
- 5 People- $28,780-$59,100
- 6 People- $32,960-$63,500
- 7 People- $37,140-$67,850
- 8 People- $41,320-$72,250
NOTE: Income includes: All wages (before taxes), alimony, child support, disability and/or SSI payments.
In addition to meeting the income guidelines listed above, you must also:
- Have not owned a home within the last three (3) years.
- Have lived in Leon or Gadsden County for twelve (12) months or more.
- Have had the same job or source of verifiable income for six (6) months or more.
- Currently live in an extremely overcrowded home, a home in poor condition, or a home in an unsafe environment.
- Be willing to make a small cash down payment.
- Be willing to live in a location selected by Habitat.
- Be willing and able to work and contribute “sweat equity”.
- Understand and agree that the house size is based on the household size.